Idris Elba Says He Was Never Seriously Considered for James Bond Role

Idris Elba Says He Was Never Seriously Considered for James Bond Role


Idris Elba says he was never seriously in the running to become the next James Bond, despite years of speculation.

Speaking to PEOPLE at the Los Angeles premiere of Masters of the Universe on May 18, the 53-year-old actor dismissed rumors linking him to the role. “They’re going younger,” Elba said of the upcoming 007 reboot. “I wish them all the luck in the world.”

Elba added that he was “never in the race in the first place.”

The actor previously discussed the Bond rumors in a 2023 interview on the Smartless podcast. He said he initially felt honored to be considered for the iconic role, but became frustrated when the discussion turned to race.

“Those that weren’t happy about the idea made the whole thing disgusting and off-putting,” Elba said at the time.

Daniel Craig last played James Bond in 2021’s No Time to Die. Elba’s name had been linked to the franchise for years, especially after a leaked 2014 email from Sony executive Amy Pascal suggested he should be the next Bond.

Elba is currently promoting Masters of the Universe, where he plays Duncan, one of He-Man’s allies. He said he enjoyed bringing humor and action to the role and described himself as a longtime fan of the franchise.


Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form